Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Harrison Bergeron

Hey,

Nice active participation today in class! I was a bit worried you were going to find the text boring, especially after the shattering first impressions you delivered just before the holidays. It's nice to see most of you seemed to like it. Of course you were probably just pretending. Notice how relatively easy it was to read in English? And this was deep stuff, not a children's story or anything.

Some of you know Vonnegut already. He's one of my favourite authors. I don't know why really, because he always writes the same story, sort of, with his unique style, which never changes. Anyway, there are plenty of good books that he's written. If you liked Slaughterhouse 5, you'll like Cat's Cradle as well. That's one of my favourites. There are more short stories too if you're interested. Check out Kurt Vonnegut at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Vonnegut

Here's a link to the short story in case you lose your handout and want to read the story again (fat chance yeah I know):

http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/harrison.html

Finally, here's a link to the song we heard at the end of the lesson. The band was called Flight of the Conchords, and I really recommend their music. An extremely funny duo. The TV show is ok too, although not as funny as their live gigs. If you follow the YouTube recommendations, you'll come across some real gems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmLHOGT0v4c

Still only 12 followers for this blog. Where is everybody?

20 comments:

  1. maybe they dont know how to use a computer ? : DDDDDDd

    ReplyDelete
  2. THX Taneli! Maybe you could recommend some other authors too? Something we could read in English, I mean. Not that I have time to read them anyway but maybe when I'm old and retired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are there so few posts? You should update this blog more frequently! Maybe you could give a sneak peek of what the trainees have planned for us?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we could start blogging via comments : D
    NOOT


    but we could start a POLL (like in maths last year)

    First question:
    What do you thing of teacher trainees?

    ReplyDelete
  5. they suck !!! only few of them are actually good or even worth following.

    and about english literature, i'm reading milan kunderas book the unbearable lightness of being right now and i dont understand ANYthing..... maybe i should buy a dictionary

    ReplyDelete
  6. techer trainees are lovely and nice persons... but often they haven't got a clue about teaching!!! :D

    Because nobody writes anything... I wanted to tell you that I've got a goldfish now (I got it as a 18-year-present, why? because i'm a lovely (=kultainen) person) ... but He (or She, I'm not sure!) is nearly in the end of his/hers journey so i'm adopting the fish.. anyone? you need to have 100l tank with lots of accessories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha, good luck with that Koksu...
    Svenkku, I have a task for you ! Please post that picture of you and taneli here !! :)

    and I agree w/ Jukka, Taneli you should update this blog more frequently.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think fish are boooooring :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh hey cool! I'd given up on the whole thing and here you are chattin away like crazy. OK, sweet. I'll post something tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A goldfish?? Sry, don't have any tanks. And about teacher trainees: I think they would survive their lessons if we just gave them a chance (like I always do). Of course there are many goldfish in the sea and some trainees should choose another career...

    ReplyDelete
  11. my goldfish (Baron Little Aviator) wasn't talking english so it was no use! That's why it's swimming in clearer waters with his friends.. in Stockman! :)

    Aino has a point. We should give the teacher trainees a chance.. Waiting for the new post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. : DDD YAYYYYY this is almost a real chat <3

    After todays three lessons with teacher trainees I believe that they all like hate me (since all of them just walked straight past me after I asked for some help): D but the feeling is bilateral :DDDD NOOO, just joking


    Lauri, love the name of your fish, and I would have loved to adopt it but I think Optimus Prime (one of my cats, the more stupid one) would have enjoyed Baron as a meal : (((( no kidding, that cat just ate all the meat from my sandwich and I was away only for a few seconds

    PS. the real reason I'm really writing here (a comment this long) is because I am absolutely tired of reading for health education, but that is what I'm supposed to be doing now so I'll continue there.... EWH -.-'

    ReplyDelete
  13. and for salla, you can find that photo at ...

    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=3242429&id=543094389

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. its not broken, you just need to have a facebook or/and be my friend there : DDD

    ReplyDelete
  15. and Svenkku.. I suggest you to remove those tags from that picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, not fair! I want to see the picture! Somebody post it here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. aww what a cute picture <3 taneli and svenkku you should be the ones who will marry each other in our wedding :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Svenkku you need to post that pic here :)

    ReplyDelete